Lindsay’s Law (CARDIAC) QUICK GUIDE
What is Lindsay's Law?
In accordance with Ohio law, all members must follow and adhere to the Sudden Cardiac in Youth Athletes Law (Lindsay’s Law). The law requires that all youth athletes, parents/guardians, Adult Participants, and Minor Coaches to annually complete a set of requirements prior to participating in any organized sports activity.
See below for requirements. For more information and FAQs, visit Ohio Department of Health.
Ohio Soccer Association (OSA) automatically includes the parent/guardian/player requirement electronically for players who register directly in Demosphere.
Recreational leagues who do not register players directly through Demosphere are responsible for providing the required video, distributing the informational handout, and collecting the signature form annually.
Coaches complete their training requirement directly in their OSA risk account by watching the annual video and electronically acknowledging it.
Cardiac Emergency Response Guidelines
Non-contact collapse of an athlete, coach, referee, or bystander is presumed to be sudden cardiac arrest. While not common, an immediate and appropriate on-site response with bystander intervention is critical for a potential positive outcome. Ohio Soccer Association (OSA) recommends that each of its member clubs, leagues, sanctioned tournaments, coaches, referees, officials clubs, leagues review and assess the implementation of U.S. Soccer’s Player Health and Safety Program, which includes having coaches, referees, and officials trained in the use of “hands only CPR” with the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED).
See U.S. Soccer’s Cardiac Conditions for the following guidelines:
Parents/Guardians (via Demosphere)
- Watch Required Video
- Download and/or be handed the SCA Informational Handout
- Electronically sign the Required Signature Form
Players (via Demosphere)
- Watch Required Video
- Sign the same Required Signature Form that your parent/guardian has signed
Coaches (via Player’s Health)
- Watch the Required Coach Video
- Download and/or be handed the SCA Information Handout specifically for coaches
Sanctioned Tournament Responsibility
- Verify participating teams have valid Ohio Soccer Association coach and player cards. Tournaments may collect Signature Forms if they wish, but if an OSA competitive team has valid cards they are in compliance with OSA and Lindsay’s Law.
- For out of state team compliance, tournaments must collect the signature form for all players.